Friday, January 30, 2009

I have started to train for a 10K. It was originally going to be a half marathon with some co-workers but due to different reasons I wasn`t going to be able to run in it.
It is funny that when no one knew that I was training for a race, I was doing really good with running and working out. After I told some family and friends and heard their reactions I have gotten lazier in it. I think after hearing their reactions I have kind of psyched myself out. Some how since telling people, it has become a much harder goal even though I know I can run that much. Because to most of them, that isn`t something they think they could do and it makes me questions my ability.
I think that is one reason why I tend to keep things to myself cause then I don`t let other peoples opinions dilute what I want to do or what I think I should do especially when it goes against the norm or is a difficult task. For example, when I decided to work as a housekeeper for a summer. When I decided to visit a friend by myself in Mexico City. When I decided to attend language school in another country by myself. Moving to Atlanta where I had no family, friends or connections.
I do care about getting other people`s opinions on things. I think that is something you should do to put things in perspective and to see the reality of what you want to do. The flip side of that is sometimes people can belittle your dreams or goals because they don`t see it the way you do or they don`t see value in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment