Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Struggle with my race

A couple of months ago I moved into an inner-city neighborhood in downtown Atlanta. It is different from anywhere I have lived in the States. When I ride my bike or walk around the neighborhood it brings back memories of when I lived in Quito, Ecuador. I don`t know if it because of the stares I get, the poverty I see or the random interactions/conversations I have.

I have enjoyed being the minority and having to deal with race and struggle with how growing up white has impacted my life. I am taking a culture class right now and we just finished talking about how race impacts everyones life. Some people have advantages while many have disadvantages. I never really struggled with race much growing up because I was the majority in many of my roles and activities I was involved in.

This link was very interesting for me to look at race in general.




No comments:

Post a Comment